7.19.2010

MAKEUP MONDAY ♥ SHU UEMURA


Shu Uemura was such a pioneer. He fell into makeup and hair as a teenager, after being so sick he was bedridden. And soon after enrolled in and attended the Tokyo Beauty Academy, where he was the only male. Later, he had his HUGE break in Hollywood. He was working as a beautician, the story goes, when the makeup artist for the film My Geisha fell ill and couldn't carry on with the film. I wonder what exactly happened, but all I've been able to pull up is he was called in to fill in, much to the surprise and delight and amazement of the crew and the cast, including Shirley MacLaine, for turning her into a Japanese Geisha...superbly. 

Master Shu

In the 60s he launched his makeup line (which included a facial cleansing oil that  is still popular today) and returned to Tokyo to open his Shu Uemura Makeup School. He believed that product should not only look good, but it should be healthy for your skin.

How amazing is a talent to transform Shirley MacLaine into this?!

Shu Uemura has a dozen things I love, especially the Neo Sparkle Lashes, but I wanted to feature an older product...the Victor and Rolf Lashes for Shu Uemura! The packaging is even divine. In high school and just thereafter, I alway had a pair of faux lashes in my glove box...just in case I was headed out to dance and couldn't get home and wanted a little drama. But they were never as amazing as these.


GORGEOUS.

I love people who embrace their passion this way. Such artists. No different than a Picasso. Sadly, he passed away in 2007. But his brilliance continues on. For more about My Geisha check out my post. ♡

more makeup monday ♥ the bare brow

images from 
sephora.com
cosmetic-candy.com
pingmag.jp 
www.nitrolicious.com

No comments: