8.21.2010

SATURDAY SHOPPING ♥ ALVINA ABRAMOVA

Sometimes I get a press release from an agent I've never heard of before who is repping people I have never heard of before. And, most of the time, it ends up just not being up my alley. Usually it's for more "normal" editors and publications. BUT I always take the time to look and listen (if it's a band). I check everything out. And, if you're an aspiring editor or stylist or anything else creative, you, too, should really open your eyes. If you judge it by the cover, you might miss out on something charming. (When I was pretty young, on my first trip to NYC...I ended up in Pat Fields old shop on St. Marks in the East Village back in the day when it was seedy and filled with club trannies and druggies and kids. It was fantastic, actually. Like another planet. Anyway, I was so young and new and naive. But I had very young family there who took me everywhere. And I never forget walking into Pat Field's, which was tiny at the time, and hearing them say Madonna was just in. It was the era she was still street and hot in the street. And a Downtown kid working in the shop always had his tape with him. His singing/music/band tape. So he gave it to her. And she told him, "I listen to everything..." I never forgot it.) So...I did check out this jewelry designer for the first time, Alvina Abramova. At first glance I saw a lot of pretty pieces, but not edgy enough to profile. BUT then I kept looking and I did find some super cool pieces mixed in with the daintier lot. Which makes it so interesting. And the prices are incredibly reasonable. (Great for gifts!) I had to ask her some questions about her design concept as well. Have a look for yourself. ♡

Frida Skull Earrings with black Swarovski crystals! Chic and cheeky.
WHERE ARE YOU BASED AND HOW DID YOU END UP A JEWELRY DESIGNER?
I'm based in my hometown, Brooklyn, NY.  I graduated Fashion Institute of Technology with a Bachelors degree in fashion design and worked in the fashion industry as a women’s wear designer.   I transitioned to designing jewelry a couple of years ago when a friend of mine suggested I make some pieces for her.   Since then, I've made a lot of custom pieces and much recently decided to make a more accessible collection that would appeal to many. 

Gina earrings with deep Amethyst

WHO ARE SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE JEWELRY DESIGNERS AND MAYBE TELL US ABOUT A COUPLE OF YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE PIECES...
I really love Solange Azagury Partridge.  I think her pieces are really unique and timeless.  She really captures the juxtaposition of soft and edgy all at the same time.   I absolutely adore the Stoned-multistone necklace and the MaryJane Ring of hers.  

Razor earrings!

I SEE A LOT OF SWEET PIECES...MIXED IN WITH A FEW CHEEKIER PIECES...
WHY THE MIX?
I've always loved to mix the two in my own personal style.  I like simplicity mixed with a little bit of playful edge.  I think it's fun to play around with different styles, especially if they are on the opposite side of the spectrum and create something unique of your own.  

Lola feather earrings
Keyhole earrings! When have you ever seen keyhole earrings?

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT TO SEE IN THE FUTURE AND WHERE CAN YOUR JEWELRY BE PURCHASED?
There's going to be more edgy and playful pieces coming soon.  I'm doing a lot of stack rings in various metal.  Some of them will be sweet and some are more edgy.  As of right now,  my jewelry can be purchased online at www.alvinaabramova.com.

Lenny Bow earrings with a chunky pink-hued magnestite and howlite


all images courtesy of Alvina Abramova

No comments: