4.26.2011

TUESDAY TAILOR ♥ ROYAL WEDDING DRESS

Everyone who reads my blog has probably noticed I do mention weddings of the past and, more specifically, wedding dresses. So of course I was going to do a post on the lovely royal wedding dresses of the past as the nuptials are going to be here soon...and yes I wonder what her dress will look like in this modern age. Though, I would kill to own something like Princess Charlotte's dress (below)....you can see how the 60s took their influence in some cases straight from the past. I wanted to embed two awesome videos that CNN put together about the bride's gown and the groom's tux...but they don't allow embeds, which is really stupid. But I'll put the links here (hers) and here (his) for you. And then you can have a longer look at some of the dresses they mention in the videos.

PRINCESS MARGARET'S DRAWING ROOM EXHIBIT
GORGEOUS ROOM WITH GORGEOUS ARRAY OF ROYAL WEDDING GOWNS. WHAT AN AMAZING JOB TO LOOK AFTER THEM.

PRINCESS CHARLOTTE 1816
This is my favorite vintage, or rather antique, dress of the bunch. It's made of silver and has an empire waist which I love love. If this dress was shorter, like a mini, it would be a perfect dress for ME! :) I also love her name...Charlotte. :)

JUST AMAZING.
THE WEDDING OF PRINCESS CHARLOTTE

QUEEN VICTORIA 1840
It's just amazing that we get to see the dress PLUS we can see the actual photos of her wearing the dress. I LOVE LOVE LOVE fashion history. And I do love love weddings.

ALSO VERY PRETTY....BUT NOT SILVER OR GOLD.
THE WEDDING OF QUEEN VICTORIA

PRINCESS ALEXANDRA OF KENT 1963
This is another dress from the early 60s that I adore. I do see this style a little bit around when I'm foraging for vintage. It's a very very chic style to wear, even today. Though I still love love the rockstar look of Princess Charlotte's dress.

REALLY CHIC AND GORGEOUS.
GORGEOUS VEIL AND FLOWERS.
THE WEDDING OF PRINCESS ALEXANDRA OF KENT

PRINCESS MARGARET 1960
I don't know where all the images are of Princess Margaret's wedding dress. But it was equally chic...like Princess Alexandra of Kent's dress. I had the wrong information on here as to who Princess Margaret was or something. But an anonymous reader looked it up for me. And here it is: Princess Margaret was the sister (now deceased) of the present Queen Elizabeth. And Princess Alexandra is the cousin of the present Queen Elizabeth. Her father was The Prince George, Duke of Kent, the fourth son of George V and Queen Mary, the Queen's grandparents. Her father was the younger brother of the Queen's father, who became King when their oldest brother abdicated the throne to marry Wallis Simpson, an American divorcee. ( Yes, I looked it up and she is correct. I have no where I misread. Oh well.) I also learned that Princess Alexandra is also known as The Honourable Lady Ogilvy, or simply Lady Ogilvy. Isn't that amazing? :)

REALLY GORGEOUS, ALBEIT HUGE, DRESS.
THE WEDDING OF PRINCESS MARGARET

PRINCESS ALEXANDRA OF DENMARK 1863
Another really lovely old dress for the times. Though also quite huge and decorated, I am sure it would have made a massive impression when she wore it to her wedding.

REALLY AMAZING. BRIDE AND GROOM. THOUGH HER DRESS MUST HAVE WEIGHED A TON!
THE WEDDING OF PRINCESS ALEXANDRA OF DENMARK

I also found this picture of Queen Elizabeth's wedding shoes...though it's not in any of the videos in the links above.

REALLY GORGEOUS.
I will try to do something on the wedding cake (do they have wedding cake at royal weddings? Or fancy wedding desserts?) as I LOVE cake. And do watch both videos above. One of them goes into the whole Savile Row ( Ozwald Boateng ) doing Prince William's military suit. We'll also probably have a SURPRISE GUEST BLOGGER who might do something more on wedding dresses! But I can't disclose that yet. :)

Thanks again for reading and have a lovely lovely day. I personally am very excited to watch the wedding. ♡


more tuesday tailor ♥ jcdc fall 2011

images from the following links:
royalwedding.aol.com, oldbroadonparade.blogspot.com, photogallery.thestar.com, gogmsite.net, madeleinesdaughter.blogspot.com, everaftermiami.com, forum.alexanderpalace.org

No comments: