6.07.2011

TUESDAY TAILOR ♥ RIP BIJAN بیژن پاکزاد

an amazing Bijan advert from the 80s/90s featuring model Niki Khalatbari.
I had intended on doing a bit on the passing of designer BIJAN (pronounced "Bee-Zhan"...like "Zsa Zsa") earlier.  I finally had time to sit and find the adverts I wanted for the post. When I was growing up in LA, I could not avoid seeing/hearing/knowing of the designer. It was the late 80s and early 90s, and Bijan was on fire. His billboards were all over Los Angeles, his boutique was touted as the most expensive shop on Rodeo Drive and his signature fragrance was everywhere...you could not avoid it. All that on top of his being Persian (which I am), made his name very popular in my family circle.  I was never really into the Bijan brand...but I was fascinated by his popularity. And I did always hear about his model Niki Khalatbari, because someone in my family had a huge crush on her and thought she was the end-all-be-all. You can see her in most of the adverts in this post.




Bijan was part of a slew of very-bougie Rodéo (Drive) brands that ruled the world back in the 80s...another brand that comes to mind is Giorgio of Beverly Hills. Same yellows and same decadence. It's just so over the top, which is how the 80s and 90s really were. Lots of make up, lots of perfume (strong/heavy fragrance) and lots of showing your money. This was not a wallflower brand at all. I won't get into all the details of Bijan, but you can read more here about him (you'll notice there's another advert with Bijan and Michael Jordan). He was a key player in the game for a very long time, and a key figure if you grew up in Los Angeles during his reign. I read the children are running the biz now, and I hope they do well. When I looked at the website, it looked pretty bad. So dunno. Even though it wasn't my taste, I still felt blue when he passed. Bijan is a very big part of fashion history (and Persian business) from that era and from LA. (According to the 2001 Los Angeles Times Calendar Section, the Bijan Perfume and Fashion Business has brought in an estimated $4 billion in sales worldwide....uh...exactly.)♡

i remember this two-page spread in so many magazines when i was little.
and this one.

an iconic LA billboard with Bijan and Bo Derek.
more pics of Bijan on the road...
even more billboards...see i wasn't kidding!
Bijan, the boutique
inside the boutique.
one of his many cars...Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe...
even more crazy cars...i think this is the a Bugatti Veyron...
RIP Bijan
Bijan and his son (left) and daughter (right).

So 80s...so 80s Beverly Hills....




more tuesday tailor ♥ agnes b. boy

i have to find my image credits list and post it here!

No comments: