12.01.2012

SATURDAY SHOPPING ♥ GIVE BOOKS FOR XMAS GIFTS ♥

Here are some book ideas you can give to people as gifts for Christmas or other holiday occasions, birthdays, etc. Books are something not all people necessarily buy for themselves (though I spend way too much on books which becomes very problematic when I am moving from one town the the next as the boxes are heavy!). And don't just consider picture books, though those are lovely, too. There are really gorgeous literary books out there. Even if the person (or you) doesn't read much, once you start, you sort of get hooked on the reading bug and then you want to read EVERYTHING. 

Here are some ideas for books:

1. THE BELL JAR by SYLVIA PLATH
This is one of my top 10 favorite books of all time. I think I've read it at least a dozen times. It's a great literary piece, but also a great coming-of-age story. Also, if you're into fashion, it's got loads of that in there as the main character wins a guest-editorial position at Mademoiselle magazine in New York (that was a real magazine), and then suffers a meltdown. Really brilliant stuff. I also heard they've made or are going to make a film about it. I dunno. Sometimes we should let these books just live and not destroy them all with films. (There is one film from the 70s that sucks because it has nothing to really do with the book...and there seems to be a new one happening with Julia Stiles or something, which could also potentially suck.)



2. GRACE: A MEMOIR
Grace Coddington's new memoir!!! This is of course on my own Christmas wish list. Cannot wait to read this. Have read nothing but great reviews and will be lovely to read her own words about the fashion world/life....then and now.




3. FROM A TO BIBA
This is an autobiography by Biba creator/founder/designer Barbara Hulanicki. It's simple, easy, lovely and essential if you love fashion, the 1960's, smart women.



4. THE SWEET LIFE IN PARIS by DAVID LEBOVITZ
I am currently reading this. Well, I'm wrapping up another book and I've started to read this a little bit here and there. But it looks like it's going to be great fun. It's a story about a dude who goes to live in Paris after dreaming about it for years. He's a chef and this is his take on the city, through the love he has for it and the food there. The book has recipes spread throughout it and it looks like yet another book that will help me take the plunge and get me over to Paris for good. (The first book to do that is the next one on my list below.) This is just another great book for any francophile.




5. A WRITER'S PARIS by ERIC MAISEL
I have read this book a couple of times, but I love it so much that I've purchased it as a gift for so many friends. AND, because it was in storage and I missed it so much, I bought another one. This is a guide to help writers get to Paris to write that novel they've always dreamt of. BUT it's also a really amazing coaching system to help anyone who dreams of going to live in Paris, for a short time or forever. It has insights, resources for studios, places to eat, directions to secret gardens. It's amazing. I have it near me at all times. 



6. ARCADIA by MANDANA TOWHIDY
Well of course I'm going to include my novel here. I just want you to read it. :) If you want to read a review on it, you can do so here. But so far I have heard lots of people emailing me that they've bought it for Christmas presents. I know one guy who bought ten to give to all this friends! He loves Heavy Metal, he's from LA and he loves to read. This is a book if you want to know what it was like to be on the Sunset Strip in the late 1980s as a teenager during those Long Hair Days. It's about life before everything was PC.  It's about fashion and makeup and...hairspray. :) And thank goodness a bunch of people think it's an awesome read. (I'm going to do a gift guide on the tumblr page with the book where you can give the book to someone with say...a can of hairspray, a pair of fishnets, some "beginner blue eyeliner" or even a six-pack of beer). If you're in Los Angeles or plan on being in LA during the holidays, it's available at our favorite indie bookstore, Skylight Books. And if you live outside the U.S., you can also order it from here if you don't want to deal with Amazon.



HAPPY SHOPPING!♡

more saturday shopping ♥ winter snow boots

No comments: